It's supposed to get real cold and windy tonight and tomorrow. The horses have started to shed and the pen their hay is in isn't very sheltered from wind if it gets bad. Because of this I decided to put their winter blankets on this evening. I was worried about Moon and Copper's reaction since they both haven't worn one yet, but they proved my worry unnecessary. I brought in 2 at a time to feed, groom and blanket. Everyone did great, standing nicely for me, and Moon and Copper didn't get bothered at all the way I thought they might. Moon wasn't completely sure but I'm happy with how she did. I love when my horses surprise me in a good way! Plus now I can sleep tonight knowing they won't be standing huddled up shivering against the bad weather.
Other than that I haven't done much with the horses the past few days. They do seem to be getting slightly better when I'm out there with my stick and bag at feeding time though. Friday I was able to rub Moon and Buddy on one side of the withers at liberty again. What I liked about that was that Moon wasn't standing frozen, she had a better look about her and was blinking. It just felt more relaxed. This horse is a challenge for me but in a good way, she's teaching me to be a much better horseperson!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Yeah! Sounds like your horses trust you more than you think :) That's awesome, Leanne. I think they look so cute in their blankets...er...King especially :)
ReplyDeleteSavvy On!
Thanks! I think they look cute in them too, all nice and cozy! Epecially Moon, she's wearing my favorite color, purple :)
ReplyDelete