Welcome to my blog! I am a Level 1 graduate of Pat Parelli's savvy system, progressing my way through level 2, 3 and beyond! Thanks for visiting and joining me on my journey!



Saturday, June 19, 2010

Some bridless!

I rode Moon finally on wednesday. We used the cradle bridle for the second time too. Mostly following the rail, going sideways, backing and doing some weave patterns at walk and trot, and working on having a soft feel on the reins. It was a nice ride and I decided to leave the arena and ride her around the yard too. We rode around freestyle for a bit before returning to the arena. I got off, took the bridle off without putting the halter back on and decided to try something. I got my savvy string and put it around her neck and got back on. We rode around at a walk with me guiding her around things and changing directions with just that string and my legs. We even did a backup before I got off for the day. It was a really cool feeling to be doing that, we've never rode bridless before!
I rode her again today doing pretty much the same with the cradle and trying some more bridless riding at the end. It went ok, but there is lots of long grass in there that is tempting for her! I'm going to try using my carrot stick next time and maybe practice with a bridle/hackamore to make sure I keep things going good, but it's been fun so far!
I also had a nice ride on Buddy, I had a passenger lesson at the walk. We even trotted for the first time. I rode him with the cradle bridle on. He's never worn a bridle, so I used my halter with the savvy string attached and left the reins on the horn. I only used them a little at the end of the ride. He's doing good.
Copper wore my natural performer saddle for the first time today and looks good in it. He was accepting it real well so I sat on him in it for a while just hanging out.
It's so nice to be getting more horse time in now that the sun is back!

2 comments:

  1. YEAH! Bridless for the first time must be a wonderful feeling! Must have felt magical :)
    Awww, it is wonderful to ride the babies know that it's summer. So glad to hear you progressing in your journey - you're a strong example to me of being able to "Take the time it takes," as sometimes I rush or try something new, too soon. Well done, Leanne!!!

    Esther, King, Angel, and Mr. Duncan (the puppy)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Esther, it was a wonderful feeling, can't wait to do more!

    ReplyDelete